Cyber safety advice for students (from guidance issued to schools)
- Always respect others – be careful what you say online & what images you send.
- Think before you send – whatever you send can be made public and could stay online indefinitely.
- Keep your password to yourself. Only give your mobile or personal web-site address to trusted friends.
- Block the bully – learn how to block or report someone who is behaving badly. (All UK mobile phone operators have nuisance call centres set up and/or procedures in place to deal with such instances. Similarly social networking sites and Instant Messenger have ‘Report Abuse’ links or contact information on their sites)
- Don’t retaliate or reply!
- Save the evidence.
- Make sure you tell:
- Your parent/carer, an adult you trust
- If another student from your school is involved tell your form tutor, Head of Year or another teacher you can talk to.
- The provider of the service
- A helpline like ChildLine on 0800 111
Finally, don’t just stand there – if you see cyberbullying going on, support the victim and report the bullying. How would you feel if no one stood up for you ?